Saturday, December 5, 2009

Going Full Circle: The Birth of Jyonenshi

Assassins are self-sufficient characters. They don't need to rely on other people to level up or to hunt for items. With the right equipment and skills they could even stand up to boss-type monsters where other character classes normally could not. But I found it sort of boring to just point and click my way to the level cap.

Maybe that's why I gave the Acolyte-Priest class a second try. Don't get me wrong, though. I ain't anywhere near 'saintly' in real life. I just found this character to be cool and challenging. I could say the same for Wizards too, but they're too fragile as I see it. Maybe I just like to let other people do the dirty work of slaying monsters lol.

But before they suggested that I go and do them the favor of being the healer I tried out something that I've heard was a good character build. A Battle Priest. It had high STR and AGI, stats that an orthodox Priest will never make any good use of (except for the additional inventory capacity that STR gives) and the skill build was sufficient enough for the caster himself. It had the best of both worlds.

So I made one and trained it like any melee character, going through the same leveling path as what my assassin Yoichi went through. But as I leveled up my Battle Priest Zenebatos (from The Law City Zenebatos, of The Legend of Dragoon PS1 RPG) it dawned on me that it wasn't a far cry from that first character I made in the Chaos server back then. Sure it was nice to be self-sufficient and cost-effective (Heal skill = virtually no healing potions needed of course), but to be truly effective in battle this build must have a varied arsenal of weapons and even armor, so as to much the strengths and weaknesses of the monsters of Rune-Midgard. To me it was a luxury I cannot afford. Thus I abandoned this prospect and proceeded to what I never would've thought the archetype of my online gaming life: supporting.

They say the third time's a charm. True, this would be the third time I create an Acolyte but it would only be the second time I play a Priest. So I went ahead and planned for the skill build. I even downloaded a skill tree chart to guide me.

Because a Full-Support Priest needs to have a lot of skills, it is best that they go past Job Lvl 40, the prerequisite level for the 2nd job change quest, and go all the way up to the limit, which is Job Lvl 50. This would give the much needed skill points to unlock and strengthen the skills needed for supporting. As for stat point allocation it was simple, most builds focused only on VIT (Vitality) and INT (Intelligence). VIT increases HP and reduces damage to a certain extent, and a good FS Priest does not die before the ones they support. INT boosts SP for skill usage. Perfect for spamming Heal during tight situations. I didn't really worry about equipment yet because I was focused on getting the 'Acolyte' part of this task right.

I think my mind was kind of set back then that I would be using this character for a long time, or that I will definitely stop character class hopping, that's why I spent some time looking and figuring out a name for this new character. During this time I was watching the Hunter x Hunter Greed Island OVA and saw this one guy that seemed to be a very important character (at least his abilities are as far as the story goes). His name was jyonenshi. From what I recall jyonenshi means nen-remover or something. This guy was important because he was needed by the bad guy (I forgot his name lol)  to remove some sort of deadly curse technique that was put on him and he was the only one that could remove it.

His ability was sure that only of his in the entire world, and his name (or what he was called) was quite unique among the sea of japanese names used in MMOs XD. So from then on I went by the name of Jyonenshi and began a new journey in the kingdom of Rune-Midgard. And it stuck with me on other MMOs since then XD

No comments:

Post a Comment